We were all packed up and ready to leave for Atlanta yesterday, but after looking at Vivian we decided we needed to go back to the pediatrician instead. It was a two hour visit of torture. Vivian was in excruciating pain. She hadn't moved her neck in two days. Getting her to lie in her bed at night was impossible. Thursday night we left her sitting up in bed until she fell over in exhaustion.
The pediatrician had difficulty assessing her as Vivian was screaming and fighting hard. They had to swab her throat twice because she broke the first swab. As we waited for the results of her blood work she looked up at me through saggy, bloodshot eyes and whispered "We can just sneak out of here when no one is looking." I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
Her blood count was high and the pediatrician recommended taking her into the ER for further tests. The concern was that she could have an abscess. The high dose of Advil seemed to do little to improve her so this afternoon we spent four hours in the ER at Children's hospital. After the drama at the pediatricians I was expecting worse, but Vivian pulled through. She was so brave. As they hooked the IV into her hand she was shakily answering question about her stuffed animals.
After a CT scan and some waiting the doctor came back with good news. There was NO abscess. She had severely infected lymph nodes and her temperature was still high. So they pumped her full of pain killer and some steroids to help loosen her neck. By the time we left we saw our Vivian returning to us. She still doesn't have full range of motion in her neck, but she is more upbeat. She was even smiling when we left and told our nurse that she had fun.
Scott flies out of Atlanta tomorrow afternoon for Uganda. He was out late tonight at the office getting things in order. Vivian's situation set him behind and I know headed into this trip exhausted. Please pray for him and pray for me as I will be flying solo with our little one for the next three weeks. Thank you!